Learn How to Sew Knit Clothes!
Next Live class will be in Spring of 2021
Do you want a wardrobe that you made with your own two hands, or at least a few pieces, like a t-shirt and that dress you saw at the store that wasn't quite the color you wanted?
Has the idea of sewing clothes, with knits in particular, been daunting?
Maybe you know how to sew clothes, but sewing with knits...eeek!
You are in luck!
I’m offering a 4-week, online series teaching you how to sew with knits.
We’ll learn the basics first, then take a t-shirt pattern and sew it up and fit it to your body. THEN, we’ll take that well-fitting pattern and make changes to it…the design elements you’ve been dreaming of!
And to help you with the dreaming there is a BONUS series on Planning Your Projects!
This class will be the perfect combination of virtual, and live.
You’ll receive 5 weekly lessons on my online learning platform, along with the pattern, written instructions, weekly emails to show you the way and two live calls!
What to expect:
- You’ll get videos and emails each week on Sunday, where I’ll walk you through how to sew with knits and how to sew a t-shirt and fit it to your body and THEN we’ll get creative with a new garment from the t-shirt pattern.
- Two live group calls where you can bring you project (and your questions) and we can work on the fit or tricky bits.
- A BONUS series on planning your project!
- Plan on about an hour a week to watch the videos and read the content.
- But you will not be in this alone, as you work on your projects you can reach out to me to get your questions answered and for additional guidance.
- You’ll also have access to a private discussion area, specifically for this class! Here you can connect with other students (my favorite thing), post images, ask questions and get answers.
- …and if you choose to go deeper, $40 gets credited towards the full Make-It-Your-Own Society when it opens again in early 2021.
This is for you…
- If you want to get more comfortable sewing with knits!
- If you know how to sew and want to get started sewing clothes.
- If you are comfortable sewing knits but want to learn how to hack the pattern!!!
- A sewing machine in good working order, a serger is NOT necessary, but welcome.
- A computer or device to watch the videos, interact on Zoom and in the discussion area and download materials.
- A way to print the PDF pattern, it comes as both a Print at Home version and a large format Copy Shop version and to have the instructions available.
- Some large paper for drafting, any paper will do, but I like medical exam paper.
- All your sewing accoutrements!
Materials for the Basic T-shirt
44” wide knit fabric – 2 yards short sleeve, 2.5 yards long sleeve (112 cm wide fabric – 1.8 meters short sleeve, 2.3 meters long sleeve)
56” wide knit fabric – 1.5 yards short sleeve, 1.75 yards long sleeve (142.2 cm wide fabric – 1.4 meters short sleeve, 1.5 meters long sleeve)
Clear Plastic Elastic – Needed: roughly 10 inches (26 cm) for shoulder seams
Wonder Tape (optional) – Needed: 1 package (to encircle the hem of the shirt)
"Thanks a bunch for everything. You are a great teacher and have created a great space for us". - Brigette